Monday, April 21, 2014

Teach Me

Teach Me

"Everyone, please open to page one of your test booklet, you have ninety minutes to complete this section of the test. You may begin."

I turn the page slowly,
anxious to see what awaits me.
For now, this is my destiny.
All I can see is,
long stories and even longer words.

I can clearly see,
but am blind to the definitions of words like,
embankment and exasperation.
What is that supposed to mean?
Did you forget I'm only fourteen?

Teach me, teach you, teach her, teach him, and teach us,
the same things,
But we don't understand,
Oops I mean comprehend.
Because if I cannot understand what it means to comprehend,
then I cannot be....

I cannot be taught or tested on the same level as,
he or she,
But I must be on that level,
So I can feel good!
Oops I mean well!
Because if I say good and not well,
Then I cannot understand,
Oops I mean comprehend,
The English language.

But why do you try!?
to teach me, teach her, teach him,and teach us,
the same thing?
Because we do not understand the same things.
So why?
Test me,test him,test her,and test us,
on the same things?
We dont all learn the same,
do we?

Testing me, testing him, testing her, and testing us,
all on the same things,
is like testing a fish by its ability to climb a tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment